Utility lines are a very important aspect of modern day communications technology. These lines connect various hubs and provide regular internet and telephone services to clients. All these installations are made from complex components and resilient materials and line workers are responsible for installing, maintaining and repairing these systems.
Line work is extremely dangerous and challenging and this job may have to be done in harsh winds, rain, dust and other inclement weather. This means the personnel that work on these lines need to be skilled and experienced enough to handle these jobs professionally and efficiently.
Let’s take a look at 5 essential qualities a cable line worker needs to have:
- Training And Experience- These are the two important aspects that go hand-in-hand. A cable worker needs to have the right certification and training. But since this is a high-risk job, it’s crucial that they have the right experience as well. Trained and experienced cable workers undergo intensive training and will have handled many similar tasks during the course of their careers, giving them the knowledge and skills required to handle these jobs expertly and safely.
- Assessment- A cable worker needs to have the ability and knowledge to assess the condition the installations are in. This is also where their training and expertise come into the picture. Their assessment would decide what repairs or replacements would be needed to fix the problem satisfactorily.
- Physical Strength- Just as the line workers need to be knowledgeable, they also need to be strong and fit enough to climb up poles and work stably at great heights. While they are conducting their work, they would also be required to carry various equipment and tools and need the physical ability to complete all these jobs without becoming tired out or fatigued.
There are times when some features and systems need to be relocated. In such situations, specialized equipment will need to be used in the work and the job also involves a considerable amount of heavy lifting. Physically strong cable workers are able to do all this expertly.
- Safety Protocols- Cable work involves working at great heights and the power lines also need to be handled very safely. Experienced line workers always follow all the required safety guidelines and never compromise on this aspect in any way.
- Quick And Efficient Working– Line workers need to be quick with assessing the problem so they can start to fix it without delay. But it’s also essential that they be able to work at a clipping pace without compromising on the quality of their work. Cable lines are very important and most properties can’t afford to have a longer downtime on their telecommunications systems. The efficacy and speed that line workers complete the work are essential in restoring the connectivity of telecommunications lines.
- Versatility– Professional cable workers should have the ability to work effectively with different types of systems. Today, modern telecommunications systems may have CDMA, SMALL CELL LTE, HSPA, GPS, Iden and PCS. Sometimes each tower has multiple systems installed in it and only experienced and versatile cable line workers would be able to fix these systems satisfactorily.
Last, but not least, line workers should be willing and able to work in a high-risk environment. As mentioned earlier, most of these jobs involve working at great heights and with complex equipment, sometimes in very poor weather. Cable workers should be able to work in these environments without becoming fazed or compromising their safety or the safety of the system in any way.
As you can see, a line worker’s job is all about having the right certification, skill, experience and strength. These professionals need to be versatile and good with using different advanced testing, installation, repair and maintenance tools in their work as well.